The other day when playing around with different fuse settings on the Widget Board, I incorrectly wrote the wrong values, oops one bricked board 🙁 However all is not lost.
Continue reading “Recovering from Incorrect Fuse Settings on the Strobit”
I’ve started to document the Wireless Widget Board in the wiki, documentation is currently all over the place, but slowly getting there. Currently I’m working on the build instructions so those of you that I’ve sent PCBS to can at least have a parts list.
I’ve also put up an initial bill of materials. But it would be great if someone can do a Octopart BOM and share it.
Initial building instructions can be found here: http://code.google.com/p/strobit/wiki/Rfm12BuildingInstructions with more to come.
I had a chance to grab a few photos of the progress so far, also helps that most of my components that I had on order arrived today so the boards has been kitted out with all the headers. Now I can plug the prototype personality in, still waiting on my crystals, switches, and diodes.
Continue reading “Strobit Wireless Widget Photos”
Today I did some testing on the RF side of things, nothing scientific, just walking around the house seeing if it would dropout or report bad checksums, I’m happy to reports all is working as expected (using the 915Mhz RFM12B module)
The tests are done by using the RFM12B Example sketch found in the JeeLab RFM12B library by Jean-Claude over at Jeelab (RFM12B Arduino Library)
This library runs unmodified on the wireless widget board, just follow the instructions in the README about setting up node ids.
From the preliminary testing using some compact 1/2 wave GSM 900MHZ/1800MHZ antennas (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5237) I’m easily getting all the way around the house with no dropouts, have yet to do outside tests.
Today I constructed another 2 boards, very easy to do all done in around 30 minutes. This now brings the total to 3.
Applying the boards with solder paste by hand, manually placing the components, bake them in the toaster oven together. This time I got the LEDs the right way around and the right amount of solder paste on everything, no bridges on the CPU pins and looks like the right amount of fillet on the RFM12B module, very little cleanup work required, it’s amazing how little solder paste is required.
Add another 5 minutes to hand solder on the SMA connectors and program the boot loader on each, voila all done in around 30 minutes.
Now I have a potential “Network” I will start testing the RF side of things. Currently I’m using the 915MHz modules.
Today I got a chance to do some testing on the boards.
Continue reading “It Lives!!!”
The PCBs arrived last week, unfortunately not in time for the long weekend so I haven’t really had a change to do anything until today and from my initial observations I’m happy with the results.
Continue reading “PCB Arrived and Hot out of the Oven”
Just received notification that the PCBS have been shipped via FEDEX, so should have them within the next couple of days.
PCB designs were finally sent off to Gold Phoenix yesterday, a bit of a delay as I had been wanting to complete a couple of other designs to fill up the panel before sending off. Three different designs, Strobit RFM12B core, Experimental 2.4Ghz core and a prototype personality (think arduino prototype type shield) have now been merged using gerber merge into a 10” x 14.5” panel. Hopefully they should be back early next week.
S.P.O.T. has just been released on Google code, a fantastic variation of the Strobit Triggr with LCD and remote control of flashes using TTL.
S.P.O.T – Strobist Project Opensource Trigger.
Well Done Till on the release!
The Eagle PCB design files are now available for download from the Strobit Project Page. Constructive feedback is appreciated. Please treat these as an early alpha release, the PCB has not yet been verified.
I have also released the design files for a blank personality board, this can be used as a starting point for any future boards.
I will shortly have an early release of the Basic Strobist Personality board online.
The Strobit Project now has some Google groups enabled. Feel free to join these and take part in the discussion. I will leave the old forums up for archival/historical purposes, but will become read only eventually.
See Strobit Project Page for the groups.
Over the next few days as time permits, I’ll be adding everything I have so far to source control for the current design.
All hardware will fall under the TAPR Open Hardware License – http://www.tapr.org/ohl.html