I want to deploy widgets around the home, both inside and out, so I needed to find something that would allow some protection from the environment to the electronics, cheaply and easily.
On the weekend while doing some shopping I found the solution in the kitchen area of the local discount store, at $1.50 a piece it was the right fit for the job. They probably won’t like U/V in the long run, but will see how they go, at that price I can replace cheaply.
(click picture for more details)
Waterproof/Dustproof housing with easy access to the internals.
This will be the standard sensor node housing. The widget Boards and battery pack are fixed via velcro so I can easily remove for reprogramming etc.
I still need to look at airflow of sorts for temperature, humidity and pressure sensors, will probably look at putting a couple of small vents in, this will compromise the waterproofing.
To mount these I can put some velcro on the back and mount it on any horizontal or vertical surface.
Open and showing details of SMA pigtail connection, batteries (x2 AA side mounted) and widget board velcroed to the container (personality board removed)
Same as above, but this is for my outside sensor nodes where I’ve mounted a Solar Cell sealed on the outside, I did some initial testing and there was a filtering effect of the plastic lid and the cell, so I decided to put the cell on the outside to get maximum efficiency, it was a pretty messy job after I used silastic to seal everything, the cell now has a smear of silicone haze across it that is appearing very difficult to remove. So in future I think I’ll live with the slight degraded Cell performance and mount it inside, where it fits perfectly, that way I can use a couple of blobs of hot glue to fix the cell to the lid.
- Widget running on the smell of a single AA
- Solar Powered Widget
- Strobit Wireless Widget Photos
- Preliminary RF Tests
- Recovering from Incorrect Fuse Settings on the Strobit