Progress

Version 1.0 of the boards is progressing to the point where I’ll be starting work on v1.1, integrating user feedback and any issues on the tracker, I’ve put a few up there so please check them out, comment or add your own. Issue Tracker.

I’m extremely happy to say that everything has progressed really well, there are not any show stoppers with the board and as they stand are very usable. The range of the RF with the units I’ve tested is brilliant, mainly inside, I’m hoping to do some tests over the weekend outside.

The rest of my components finally arrived yesterday and I now have fully complete boards, the low profile crystals look really slick, alas I’ve decided not to keep them in the next board revision and opted for a more generic and cheaper HC49 type crystal. There are a few more changes, but check out the Issue Tracker.

In the Wild

A few of the extra PCB I sent out are finally arriving at their intended destinations and hopefully everyone will have time and skills to build them. For those that have already built them I have received some great feedback. Looking forward to their test results.

Arduino

Last night I installed the crystals on all my boards and they are now running after re-programming the fuse bits. I’ve also re-compiled the lily pad boot loader for 8Mhz and 10Mhz along with updating the Arduino board files, I will have them online in SVN shortly.

I’m also assuming that you know how to program your fuse bits and they are correctly programmed. The fuse values I’m using are found below in the boards.txt file. I don’t have to remind you that programming incorrect fuse values can potentially BRICK your board. If you’re unsure please ask on the discussion group.

You need to have the correct boot loader up and running on your Strobit first. I’ve yet to test the boot loader programming from the Arduino environment as I do all mine manually using avrdude, but here are the hex files, the 8Mhz is for if you don’t use a crystal, the 10Mhz is if you have the crystal installed.

Below is the boards.txt found in the Arduino hardware directory, just copy and paste into this the boards.txt and restart the Arduino environment.

Then select the Widget Board of choice from the TOOLS|Board menu.

##############################################################

 

strobit1.name=Strobit Wireless Widget (10 MHz) Atmega168

 

 

 

strobit1.upload.protocol=stk500

 

strobit1.upload.maximum_size=14336

 

strobit1.upload.speed=19200

 

 

 

strobit1.boot loader.low_fuses=0xE6

 

strobit1.boot loader.high_fuses=0xDF

 

strobit1.boot loader.extended_fuses=0x00

 

strobit1.boot loader.path=strobit

 

strobit1.boot loader.file=strobitBOOT_168_10MHZ.hex

 

strobit1.boot loader.unlock_bits=0x3F

 

strobit1.boot loader.lock_bits=0x0F

 

 

 

strobit1.build.mcu=atmega168

 

strobit1.build.f_cpu=10000000L

 

strobit1.build.core=arduino

 

 

 

##############################################################

 

 

 

strobit.name=Strobit Wireless Widget (8 MHz) Atmega168

 

 

 

strobit.upload.protocol=stk500

 

strobit.upload.maximum_size=14336

 

strobit.upload.speed=19200

 

 

 

strobit.boot loader.low_fuses=0xE2

 

strobit.boot loader.high_fuses=0xDF

 

strobit.boot loader.extended_fuses=0x00

 

strobit.boot loader.path=strobit

 

strobit.boot loader.file=strobitBOOT_168_8MHZ.hex

 

strobit.boot loader.unlock_bits=0x3F

 

strobit.boot loader.lock_bits=0x0F

 

 

 

strobit.build.mcu=atmega168

 

strobit.build.f_cpu=8000000L

 

strobit.build.core=arduino

 

 

 

##############################################################

Similar Posts:

Print Friendly

Author: Stephen Eaton

Geek at heart. Loves to tinker and find out how things work, which inevitably leads to items in pieces and not working for much longer :)

Leave a Reply